Monday 23 February 2015

Red planet board 1 Forgeworld Genatorum Nexus tile.


I'm quite proud of myself today, not long ago I did a post saying I was going to do more posts when I'd painted something and I've actually done so within a year! Go me! Actually within a few weeks. Note to self: do really exciting projects so that I actually can't wait to do them.

I started with the current end picture because I think it looks cool. Its been sprayed with a variety of sprays straight out of the can for those like me without an air brush. It still needs several coats of varnish to give it some durability and then some details, washes, highlights and weathering to be done by brush to finish it off. For those who are interested here comes the step by step so far:

These are the paints I've used for this tile, the one on the far right is a car spray paint and is called Red Oxide Primer. I totally stole it from someone but I'm afraid can't find the link. If someone knows the board I'm talking about please do add a link in the comments.


First I gave the board a good covering with the red oxide using shorter bursts and keeping the spray in motion at all times to avoid drips and splatters. I then use mephiston red on the generator bits. on Reflection I'd probably spray some Oxide red into the shaded areas where dust might collect first to save going back in with the red later. So a lesson for tile two!

I use army painter dragon red to lighten my generator bits and used army painter leather brown in short bursts to add another ground colour, focusing around where highlights should be, such as on raised areas and on piles of rubble. This was a lighter layer designed to leave shades of the oxide and to be patchy so as to break up the board from being too monotone.

I added army painter standard grey to pipes and the fans and other mechanical parts. This should have been the first step really but there we are, lesson for tile 2 number 2!
I also began to go in with army painter skeleton bone on rubble and highlights to add another earth tone and focus details.


 I went back in with the oxide red paint to add a bit more orange to areas I felt had become too bone and brown and to fix areas I had spilt onto with the grey.

The final tile again. Here I used the leather brown to tone down the orange patches and used the dragon red to tidy up grey overspill. I did some additional brown and bone over spraying to lighten the board tile to finish up. Its more brown than red but I like the overall effect.


I'm really happy with how this is going so far but I'm a bit concerned the simonz oxide red primer can peel a bit. I did of course wash all the tiles well before I'd begun, being forgeworld getting rid of that mould release is a must. So I will be using three layers of varnish, with plenty of drying time to avoid frosting and report back. I may add a spot of oxide red into the fans and red spray the grey gently over to look like collected dust too.

I hope you like it so far. Let me know your thoughts, tips and advice as this is the first project on this scale and my first board that wasn't a piece of wood painted one tone of green I've ever attempted and any extra information would be much appreciated! Hope to see you next time for the Manufactorum tile!

No comments:

Post a Comment